From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-31 13:28:55

Hi,

I too am dissatisfied with the complexity of many
parts of the BGL...

On Mar 31, 2004, at 4:48 AM, Provisional Dissonance wrote:
> Is there any particular reason that a
> simplified interface is not made available?

Just a lack of time. The priority was placed on providing
flexibility and efficiency so that the BGL components could handle any
situation... that flexibility came at the price of complexity.
I think a good next step would be to provide more special
purpose components that are easier to use.

> Perhaps a
> container adapter could be packaged with the library
> allowing a compromise of functionality and flexibility
> for simplicity?

Could you explain this "container adaptor" idea more.

> #include <less_than_10_graph_headers>
> digraph<some_node_type,some_edge_context_type> g;
> g << "vertex" << make_pair("vertex",
> "implicit_vertex");
> g.add_edge("brother", "sister", "sibling");
> if(g.find(make_pair("brother", "sister")))
> related = true;

Perhaps this is a good place to start. Could you
explain each of the above lines of code. Then
we can compare to an implementation in the current BGL
and pinpoint problem areas.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]>
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jsiek
Ph.D. Student, Indiana University Bloomington
Graduating in August 2004 and looking for work
C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)