From: Jim.Hyslop (Jim.Hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-01 11:08:29

David Abrahams wrote:
> It seems to me that we can't ask
> our volunteer lawyers to draw up a list of answers to all the possible
> licensing questions along these lines, nor can we reasonably make them
> available as an on-demand resource for answering boost users' legal
> questions.
No, but I think that the interaction between the LGPL or GPL and the Boost
License is probably going to be a very frequently encountered scenario.
Basically, what it boils down to is: what is the compatibility between LGPL
or GPL, and the Boost license?

Can we draw up a list of the most common free-software licenses, say the top
three, and ask the volunteer lawyers to determine whether Boost is
compatible with each of the three? I don't mean to determine the various
combinations and permutations, e.g. Boost and GPL and Mozilla Artistic, but
the simple ones: Boost and "x", Boost and "y", etc.

Until and unless such a comparison is done, though, I would echo your advice
about seeking a competent legal opinion.

--
Jim Hyslop
Senior Software Designer