From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-05 14:25:41

Hi Val,

On Apr 5, 2004, at 2:16 PM, Val Samko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find BGL extremely useful and flexible, but I am surprised
> that only a small number of algorithms is included with the
> library, although, numerous useful algorithms are implemented
> and available in boost/libs/graph/example .
>
> For example, why is the edge_connectivity function only
> available in edge-connectivity.cpp, and is not present in
> the library itself?
>
> I understand that I can copy the implementation of this
> function into my program, but why not include it in BGL?
> Is there any particular reason for this?

The only reason is time. It takes time to turn a little example
into a real "programming product" as Frederick Brooks would call it.
Documentation needs to be written, and much more complete
testing should be done. Also the algorithms in the examples
may not be as general as they could/should be, and it takes time
to generalize properly.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]>
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jsiek
Ph.D. Student, Indiana University Bloomington
Graduating in August 2004 and looking for work
C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)