From: David Barrett-Lennard (dbl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-13 02:21:13

Hi Victor,

Your first run took 1/4 sec and the second run took 21 sec. These are
similar to the times I get.

If you play around with the settings you can get the Microsoft allocator
down to below 1kHz, which is laughable.

On my Pentium IV @ 2GHz machine, Doug Lea's allocator consistently runs
at about 1.3 MHz!

Any program which is bounded by the allocator will benefit by replacing
with a decent one. Even when I don't get the pathological behaviour I
usually get (at least) 2 to 3 times speed up. An STL set uses a
red-black tree and is a good candidate because it is heap intensive. Eg
copying a set<int> with 1024 entries increases from 950 Hz to 2.5 kHz.
Inserting these elements into the set increases from 390 kHz to 1.4 MHz.

Has anyone out there tried to replace the heap allocator for an
application using boost under Windows?

- David