From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-29 14:18:23

Richard Hadsell wrote:

> Having found out how to build Bjam, I have tried to build the libraries
> of Boost 1.31.0 for tru64cxx65. I'm only interested in Regex at the
> moment, so I won't bother you with the problems building other libraries.
>
> When the build gets to this point:
>
> tru64cxx65-C++-action
> bin/boost/libs/regex/build/libboost_regex.so/tru64cxx65/release/cregex.o
>
> it hangs. I have run into this situation with other large files, and my
> usual remedy is to decrease the optimization level.
>
> How can I do that? If I can't do it for just this file, I'm willing to
> reduce the optimization level for the entire library, or even for all
> libraries. (This is not a platform that I worry about performance; it's
> just there to support a few vestigial machines.)

A few possibilities...

1. You can disable it for only the regex library if you are willing to
change the boost-root/libs/regex/build/Jamfile. You will need to add:

        <tru64cxx65><*><optimization>off

To the requirements section of template-s in that file.

2. You can do it on the command line, but this would apply to all
libraries with: bjam "-sBUILD=<optimization>off debug release" etc...

And possibly the most flexible options..

3. Add special variants for your use into the boost-root/Jamrules and
build those variants instead of the "debug" "release" defaults. For
example you might add:

        variant bss-debug : debug :
                <tru64cxx65><optimization>off
                ;
        variant bss-release : release :
                <true64cxx65><optimization>off
                ;

And then build with: bjam "-sBUILD=bss-debug bss-release"

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything