From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-30 10:20:39

Richard Hadsell wrote:

> If I get some extra time, I can make a measurement, but I think I
> decided that the problem was due to the overhead of ar opening and
> closing the library each time, probably spending some time digesting
> whatever directory info is there. I also seem to remember that I
> would print a line for each append, and it would slow down drastically
> as the library grew larger. (It's been a while, so I won't swear to it.)

I made the measurements of the total time it took to add the
instantiations to the archive library. I used 'ar q' instead of 'ar r',
as suggested. The times are in the form hh:mm:ss.

Method debug release

appending 4 groups 0:43 0:10

appending individually 1:07:24 13:31

That's right -- over an hour for the debug version when appended one
instantiation at a time, compared to under a minute when grouped.

Since Tru64 Unix is a dead-end platform, I wouldn't spend too much time
on this. It's only worth noting in case another compiler does the same
thing with its instantiations and doesn't provide its own method for
building archive libraries.

--
Dick Hadsell			914-259-6320  Fax: 914-259-6499
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]