From: Russell Balest (russell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-07 17:25:32

  I'm reading from an xml archive (the impl provided) into an object of
the wrong class ( a sibling class with common abstract base class )
  I catch archive_exception = 7 ( i/o error on stream).
  what() returns "unknown derived exception" (incidentally)

  At this point, enough of the archive has been read (namely a message
header) to allow me to know the correct class of the archived object (!).

  So, now I create an object of the correct class and attempt to
unserialize it using the same archive.
  This results in abort().

   My questions are:

     can I safely recover and read the archive again after an exception,
given that I have the archive and the istream object it was created with?

     in general, can you read an archive more than once? does it rewind
itself automatically after a successful read?

  Thanks,
  Russell Balest

  p.s. i'm not really planning to use this technique, just experimenting.