From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-01 01:20:36

Keith MacDonald wrote:

>> And what would POSIX system to with basic_path<wchar_t>?
>
> As it's not possible to write an application that's binary portable
> between
> Windows and POSIX systems, does it matter? When I build my code, I know
> what it's targeted at, so could set the template parameter appropriately.
> That's all I require.

But if I write a code which deals with paths, I don't want it all to be
templated. Really. So I want boost::filesystem::path which can support
*both* ascii and unicode.

That's why I was interested in specific use cases -- could you still provide
them?

For example, you surely want to create boost::path from Unicode string. Do
you want to create them from ascii string? What encoding that ascii string
should be in? (E.g. you get "base" path in unicode and the get relative
path from some non-unicode-aware source).

Would you want to convert unicode path back to ascii?

And so on...

- Volodya