From: Timothy Perrigo (tperrigo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-10 13:15:44

On Aug 10, 2004, at 10:04 AM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Timothy Perrigo <tperrigo_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I'm just now treading into the (rather intimidating) waters of
>> template metaprogramming, so I'm not even sure if it will fit what I'm
>> trying to accomplish. I need to create a kind of registry to keep
>> track of instances of variables of different types (actually, several
>> of these registries, representing different system states); variables
>> of a type would be identified by an unique (integer) id. In other
>> words, the variables within a particular registry represent the state
>> of the system at a given point in time, so although each registry
>> would have variables of the same types and ids, the values of the
>> variables in different registries may be different. If the variables
>> were all of the same type, a simple map would work. What I would like
>> is a way of asking this registry for a variable of a specified type
>> and id, and get back the appropriate instance (of the appropriate
>> type). I.e., something like the following would be ideal:
>>
>> MyType mt = registry.get<MyType>(my_id);
>>
>> Is there anything in the MPL (or elsewhere in Boost) that might help
>> me accomplish what I'm looking to do? If not, does anyone have any
>> design suggestions to accomplish this in another way? Any help would
>> be appreciated!
>
> Need more info.
>
> Does each id map to just one type, or might there be different types
> using the same ID in different registries of type R?
>
> Is the id a runtime value, or is it known at compile-time?
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> Boost Consulting
> http://www.boost-consulting.com

Thanks for the reply...I'll try to give as much background information
as I can without clouding the issue. We're working on a constraint
processing system. Particular problems will be modeled with variables
with values within certain domains and subject to certain constraints.
These constraints, when propagated, will narrow the domains of the
variables, but some form of searching will be required to bind all the
variables to values and find a feasible solution. The idea behind the
registry I mentioned is for it to serve as a snapshot of the current
state of the system (at a specific point in a search, for example).
The "same" variables will exist in different registries, but may have
different domains since their sets of possible values may have been
reduced due to decisions made during the search. So to answer your
first question, a particular id will always correspond to a variable of
a given type, though its value at that point in time (i.e, in that
registry) may differ from the same variable in a different registry.
Right now, the id is a runtime value; whenever a new constrained
variable is created, it is given a new id.

Does this help at all? Any suggestions, pointers, critiques, etc would
be greatly appreciated!

PS -- Gennadiy Rozental's earlier reply does get me past my earlier
stumbling block, though we're still investigating whether this approach
will allow us to do everything we'd like, so I'd definitely be
interested in hearing any other ideas.

Thanks!
Tim