From: Samuel (samuel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-14 22:23:03

[The message I am replying to was sent from a newsgroup and I am sending my
reply (this) as a message to the list.]

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> What Mr. Dimov is saying is that it is impossible to place the code you
> would like to use above in Boost because it would affect other Boost
> libraries which do not need RTTI to work.

That's no problem. The Boost headers already have more than 400 (including
comment) lines that test for the "BOOST_MSVC" preprocessor symbol. In other
words, there is already an abundance of code that is relevant only to MS VC.

> Furthermore if it were placed in
> the header file of a library which did need RTTI to work, just including
> that header file, without actually using code in it that needed RTTI such
as
> dynamic_cast, would cause an immediate compile time error.

Perhaps. I hope, though, that the possibility that it might not be useful
won't prevent someone from communicating the idea to someone familiar with
the relevant headers, since there is a possibility that it might be useful.
I have more confidence in the developers that a solution is possible.

I might have missed something, but I don't understand why it is relevant to
say that it won't work. It might not work, but it might work. Yet you are
saying it definitely won't work. That seems innapropriate to me.