From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-15 07:01:21

Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
> I'm on record here as saying we should save the world a fortune in time
> and quit supporting such a poor compiler. (now THAT is flame bait, and I
> don't give a <insert favorite expletive>.... Microsoft VC++6.0 is NOT a
> reasonable compiler..... within months of it's release, the ISO standard

I agree to this point, however ....

> In my opinion, the only reason that boost hasn't officially told
> everyone that VC++6.0 is no longer supported is because Dave Abrahams
> apparently has a customer that "cannot update". It costs a small

... as I have checked in archives our old discussion (thread "1.31.0
regressions" started on boost developer list on 2004-02-10), David was
not the only one opting for continuing support for old compilers. I also
want to remind you that Borland compilers are at the same (or even
lower) level of "conformity" like MSVC6, and they even did not released
any newer version to replace BCB6, while Microsoft released two and is
pushing its customers to upgrade (MSVC6 mainstream support is ending
Sept 30 this year, while extended paid support is available for one more
year, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeDevToolFam )

B.