From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-16 05:33:56

"Samuel" <samuel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [...]

Yes. The advice is suboptimal, I guess. Not all the developers
monitor this list, and your particular suggestion would impact many
libraries. It really should be posted where the most developers will
be able to read it.

> I am not sure whether my suggestion qualifies as a bug

It doesn't, FWIW.

> but the Boost page about suggestions has similar instructions.
>
> Results? Am I expecting results? No, I tried to (or should have?) make it
> clear in my message that I posted the message to help others. I tried to
> make it clear that I already know the answer; I was posting an answer.
>
> If a person must use a time-consuming procedure to make a simple suggestion,
> then it is not likely they will. If this applies to bugs also, then the
> software is more likely to remain buggy.

I took this:

> That problem is probably a known problem, but something such as the
> following can be added somewhere to not allow a VC 6 program to even
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> compile if the RTTI option is off. I think it could make things a
> little easier for some beginners.
>
> # if !defined(_CPPRTTI)
> # error "Boost requires use of RTTI"
> # endif

to be a request that Boost be patched to prevent compilation without
RTTI. It didn't seem like a suggestion for beginners to do
themselves; after all they can turn on RTTI just as easily. Did I
misinterpret your post?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting