From: Ross Boylan (ross_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-24 12:50:29

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:04:47AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> MarC <mvinyes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I subscribed to this list to find out if I can publish one program
> > containig "Boost Filesystem Library" under the GPL2.
> >
> > I saw that Boost license is even more flexible than the GPL2 but I'm
> > not sure if I can release a program containing Boost with GPL2...
> >
> > anybody knows? where should I ask to answer my question?
>
> As long as you follow (and don't change) the licensing terms of the
> boost::filesystem code, you're free to do with it whatever you like.
> On the other hand, the GPL2 license may prevent you from doing certain
> things. To find out whether it's OK from the GPL2 perspective to
> integrate boost::filesystem in your application under its own
> licensing terms, you'll probably have to ask GPL2 experts (or a
> lawyer).

I asked about this recently on the GPL list. Someone there said his
*unofficial* reaction was that the licenses looked compatible. He
also said he'd bring the Boost license to the attention of whoever
makes official pronouncements.

I then noticed that GPL includes a clause to the effect that there can
be no additional restrictions. It seems to me distributing and
complying the Boost license is an additional restriction, even though
the requirements of the Boost license are quite similar to those of
GPL (e.g., acknowledgement of copyrights).

I didn't get any answer on that one. It may be that if your code is
GPL you need to add a clause explicitly permitting use with Boost.
But if you have someone else's GPL code, you can't do that for
them....

I certainly would like a definitive answer to this question,
particularly if the answer is "yes." Right now I'm using working
combining stuff under both licenses, but I wouldn't feel safe
redistributing it.