From: John Meinel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 12:31:19

Hello all-

I'm currently using Boost Build v1 for some of my projects. I must say,
it's significantly better than Makefiles. Overall, I'm quite pleased,
though it took a little while to learn.

I haven't been able to figure out one thing, though. How to generate
custom built targets. Basically, I want to auto-generate a C++ source
file so that I can keep track of version information.

I have a python script that determines the version information from
various sources (such as the revision control system [arch]), and I
would like it to be run before my library is built.

If I was using a makefile I would do something like this:

.PHONY: version.cpp

version.cpp: generate_version.py version
        ./generate_version.py

This would cause version.cpp to be generated fresh each time the build
process was called. However, I don't really need the ".PHONY", it would
be okay if it was only created whenever one of the other files changed.

I'm sure it's possible to do this with bjam, I just haven't figured out
how to do customized stuff like this yet.

Thanks,
John
=:->