From: Simmons, Aaron (a-simmons1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-02 15:48:48

I've built and installed boost on a WinXp system with VS.Net 2003. I'm
trying to use it in a static CRT project. I get the following error
whenever I compile:

> error C1189: #error : "Mixing a dll boost library with

> a static runtime is a really bad idea..."

I noticed that this is happening because BOOST_DYN_LINK is #defined in
config.hpp. Apparently dynamic linking is the default for Boost?

Anyway, I've commented out this #define, but now I get a ton of warnings
like the following

> warning C4275: non dll-interface class 'std::logic_error'

> used as base for dll-interface class 'boost::lock_error'

and the project won't link

> error LNK1104: cannot open file
'libboost_thread-vc71-mt-s-1_31.lib'

I looked in Boost's lib folder and there aren't any static thread
binaries (eg, "libboost_thread_xxx.lib). There are only the dynamic
libraries (boost_thread_xxx.lib). Apparently something failed in the
build process. I have to admit I didn't sit and watch the build process
for the half-hour it took to build, so something may have gone wrong.
Is there a build log somewhere? Is it possible to have bjam only build
Boost.Threads so that I can see if there's an error without having to
rebuild the entire library?

Thanks,

Aaron Simmons