From: Mauricio Gomes (mg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-03 13:02:43

On Sep 3, 2004, at 1:06 PM, Jeff Garland wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:11:32 +0200 (CEST), Volker Boerchers wrote
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Georgios Diamantopoulos wrote:
>> CORBA (omg.org) uses CDR (Common Data Representation) in its
>> transport protocol. In the (free) ACE framework
>> (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) it is generally used for
>> sending binary data over the wire.
>>
>> Since CDR is a standard and there are many implementations of it it
>> might
>> be an alternative.
>
> During the second serialization review there were proposals,
> discussions, and
> some code of a CDR type archive that would be portable. This code was
> more of
> a demonstration, and hasn't been refined to the point where it can be
> included
> in the library, but it is something someone that really has a need
> should do...

Hi,

But if CDR is not used then do you guys know what is ?

Because, please correct me if I am wrong (I am just reading and
learning with this thread), isn't this functionality (machine agnostic
serialization) crucial to frameworks like ACE and to specifications
like CORBA and to any cross-platform network communication library ?

Thank you for your attention,
Mauricio Gomes
Pensar Digital
phone: 55-11-3803-9707