From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-04 19:23:02

"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Friday 03 September 2004 12:06, David Abrahams wrote:
>> "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> >From reading the documentation on boost.org, I have gotten the impression
>> > I don't need to set $BOOST_BUILD_PATH and $BOOST_ROOT.
>>
>> Correct.
>> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/#jambase_replacement
>>
>> describes the file that bjam expects to see when it starts up. You
>> might also drop a Jamrules file in the root directory of your own
>> Boost.Build project (if you use bjam for your own project) that
>> contains:
>>
>> project boost : path/to/boost_1_31_0 ;
>
> I set the BOOST_ROOT to the value that I thought it should have

Whatever. You don't need to set that variable, provided you set up
boost-build.jam.

> and was able to run bjam on a very simple project. I then put the
> value of BOOST_ROOT in a Jamrules file in the same directory and
> unset the BOOST_ROOT variable. I attempted to run bjam again and
> was informed that it was unable to find "boost-build.jam"

Which is why I pointed you at
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/#jambase_replacement

The most general approach is to create a boost-build.jam

> This is the entire content of the directory:
>
> //main.cc
> #include <iostream>
>
> int main() {
> std::cout << "Hello Boost Jam!\n";
> }
>
> # Jamfile
> project-root ;
> exe hello : main.cc ;
>
> #Jamrules
> project boost : /<path to>boost/1_31_0 ;
>
> Have I done something wrong?

Add a boost-build.jam somewhere in your directory or a parent:

    boost-build path/to/boost_1_31_0 ;

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting