From: Tom Puverle (tompuverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-16 15:53:21

Hey boosters,

We have found some problems with the following files:

boost_1_31_0/libs/regex/src/cpp_regex_traits.cpp
boost_1_31_0/libs/test/src/test_tools.cpp

They use definitions from <ios> but never actually include it - they are
relying on the fact that in some STLs the headers are pulled in by other
header files. Unfortunately, under our STL (RW STL 6.0) this is not the
case and hence the files fail to compile. Add the following include line to
both to fix the problem:

#include <ios>

There is another STL related problem in

boost_1_31_0/boost/regex/config/cwchar.hpp

which manipulates some macros such as iswalnum etc. These are originally
pulled in from <wctype.h> and <wchar.h> under /usr/include. With gcc,
<cwctype> and <cwchar> undefine these macros as the first thing, however,
our STL's headers don't. That leads to compilation errors from the above
header.

To fix this, add

#undef iswalnum
#undef iswalpha
#undef iswblank
#undef iswcntrl
#undef iswdigit
#undef iswgraph
#undef iswlower
#undef iswprint
#undef iswprint
#undef iswpunct
#undef iswspace
#undef iswupper
#undef iswxdigit
#undef iswctype
#undef towlower
#undef towupper
#undef towctrans
#undef wctrans
#undef wctype

when RW STL 6.0 is being used.

The final problem is more of a feature request:

In our environment, we build all shared objects with all external references
unresolved, so that a .so A never depends on a shared library B. The
symbols get only resolved once the final executable is linked. This causes
us problems with boost when building the regression tests, as the final Jam
link rule adds all additional libraries *before* the final libboost_*. That
way, we end up with unresolved symbols to e.g. our STL. Is there any way in
which this requirement could be incorporated into Boost.Build? I guess a
simple solution would be to have another variable called e.g.
ADDITIONAL_LIBS_LAST which would be passed as the last thing on linker line
in the link rule.

HW & SW details:
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 & 3.0
HW: various