From: Stephen Jackson (stephen.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-17 12:43:03

Jeff Flinn wrote:

>>>I guess this should be considered as a minor bug in bjam?
>>
>>Maybe so. Any Win/DOS experts out there who can suggest a correct
>>fix?
>

> NT, 2K and XP maintain "C:\Documents and Settings\<user-name>\Local
> Settings\Temp" directories for each user. Changing this to C:\Temp could
> cause problems for users w/out admin privileges. I've no problems with vc7.1
> builds, and I imagine a lot of others utilize the same platform and can
> build as well. So it's not a general problem.

It seems to me that the issue is having a user-name with an ampersand in
it. OP says: 'On my machine both %TEMP% and %TMP% expand to
"C:\Documents and Settings\Maha & Murali\..."'

I don't have a problem building boost with this kind of set-up, but I
have created an account "his&hers" and logged in to that account. I now
get similar symptoms as the OP.

What's the solution? Possibly bjam needs to quote %TEMP%, e.g.

[begin cmd.exe session]
C:\Documents and Settings\his&hers>set | \bin\fgrep MP
COMPUTERNAME=CALEB
PROMPT=$P$G
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\his&hers\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\his&hers\LOCALS~1\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\his&hers>dir %TEMP%
  Volume in drive C is Caleb-C
  Volume Serial Number is 5A22-6B08

  Directory of C:\DOCUME~1

File Not Found

C:\Documents and Settings\his&hers>dir "%TEMP%"
  Volume in drive C is Caleb-C
  Volume Serial Number is 5A22-6B08

  Directory of C:\DOCUME~1\his&hers\LOCALS~1\Temp

17/09/2004 18:19 <DIR> .
17/09/2004 18:19 <DIR> ..
                0 File(s) 0 bytes
                2 Dir(s) 257,179,648 bytes free