From: arno.schaefer_at_[hidden]
Date: 2004-10-14 05:37:05

"Ben Hutchings" <ben.hutchings_at_[hidden]> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:<416D5B83.4090404_at_[hidden]>...
> Why do you think you want suspend, resume and terminate? There are very
> few safe uses for these operations, and programs that use them tend to
> suffer from data corruption and/or deadlocks.

I am in the situation, that I have a lot of existing C++ Code, which work in
this way. All kind of threads are running in an endless loop and will be
controlled from outside over the resume and terminate interfaces. I have to
deliver a class what satisfy the given interface, because I will have no
chance to rewrite all the other code, which run very well on our given
plattforms (SUN, HP, AIX, Linux, Windows). So my point is, I want use the
portable boost code as a base and manage the non portable parts by myself
and looking now for the best way to do it without manipulating the boost
source code.

> It would be fairly easy to add support for priority settings to
> Boost.Thread, but since priority values are only meaningful in the
> context of a scheduling policy and policies vary between operating
> systems it would be hard to provide a genuinely portable priority system.

Can you link to some examples?

regards
Arno