From: Barak Simon (barak.simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-21 03:14:02

Hi,
I have noticed that the format library does not support at present the printf asterisk for providing dynamic width as an extra parameter.
Unfortunately my users need to use this widely and I would really hate to revert back to a non-typesafe solution.

a. Are there any plans to support it in near future?
b. If not, is there an easy way to add that to parsing.hpp, parse_printf_directive method, parse_width & parse_precision sections? currently
the asterisk is ignored, and the library throws an exception thinking it has an extra parameter.
c. Is there any workaround I miss which may give me the same expected result of providing say "%*s, width, charPtr" ?
(I have 'width' and a non-null-terminated char pointer and need to construct the correct string from them without doing unnecessary copying...)

Many thanks,
Barak
Barak Simon
GED IT Core Platform