From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-30 10:37:39

> help:scopingerrorwhen trying to make boost work with luabind
>
> Rohit O chokhani writes:
> > Hi, i am a rookie as far as boost is concerned and i
> > am trying to make boost work but just cant...on the
> > point of giving up on it...so please help asap....
> >
> > i am trying to use a scripting language called lua
> > with my c++ source code. FOr that I felt the need to
> > use luabind library which is completely dependent on
> > boost.(project specific reasons for selecting luabind)
> >

> > As a result i need to have boost on my system. For the
> > past 3-4 days ever since i have been trying to make
> > boost works i have been getting all sorts of
> > compilation errors.
> > mainly they are as follows:
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> > Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\memory(16) : error C2059: syntax
> > error : 'string'
> > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> > Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\memory(17) : error C2091: function

[Brian Braatz]
" C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> > Studio\VC98\"

This shows me you are using VC6. While you "can" do this, you are asking
for more pain than anyone should be forced to have. (it is not very
compliant and has lots of template quirks. AND you get pages (and pages
and pages and pages) of template warnings on valid code (making
debugging compile time issues much more difficult)

My *strong* suggestion to you is you install at least Visual Studio .net
2003 which comes with the vc++ 7.1 compiler.

If you cannot purchase this product, the command line compiler is
available for free download from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Hope this helps

(been there, done that, got the tee-shirt :) )