From: gast128 (gast128_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 04:56:16

Cory Nelson <phrosty <at> gmail.com> writes:

> IIRC there was an intentional leak in the threads library that is
> cleaned up on exit (the debug crt isn't perfect.. it can report global
> std::strings as leaks also), maybe this is it?

Are you sure? I couldn't find the corresponding 'delete'. Setting a breakpoint
on 'on_process_exit', I gets fired, but this code dosen't clean it up either.

As far as the m$ debug crt concerns, the reporting is correct. However one has
to take great care in when the _CrtDumpMemoryLeaks function gets called. For
example MFC has a global object _AFX_DEBUG_STATE, which in its destructor
calls this function. The trick is then to postpone this call to the end, for
example by loading the mfc71d.dll as first (and then it gets unloaded as
last). Here in our production code global std::strings don't get reported.

Wkr,
me