From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-24 00:01:49

On Nov 23, 2004, at 4:14 PM, Dan Dimerman wrote:
> I am about to start a subproject that takes a graph, computes a layout
> and
> draws it on screen (Windows XP).
> I thought about using AT&T's well known graphviz library until I saw
> that on
> boost 1.32 there's a new algorithm:
> "boost::kamada_kawai_spring_layout".
> Although I am tempted to use boost's lib, tradition dictates that a
> longer/better tested and implemented library is the way to go.
>
> Do you happen to have any experience in this kind of problem (drawing
> graphs)?
> Any suggestions/ caveats ?

GraphViz will generally do a much better job of laying out a graph for
you. It contains several algorithms for both directed and undirected
graphs, and handles tricky issues such as edge routing and label
placement that the BGL does not do now. In the future, BGL's layout
routines will probably improve (for instance, there's an additional
layout algorithm in CVS now).

        Doug