From: Martin Lemieux (lemieux_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-02 14:45:35

Brian Gaber <Brian.Gaber <at> PWGSC.GC.CA> writes:

> 2) Then make sure your compiler command line at least mention
> "-I /user/local/include" or "-I $(INC)" where INC
> ~includes~ "/user/local/include".
>
> I get further, here is the new AIX compiler error:
>
> xlc++ -o simple_ls simple_ls.cpp -I /usr/local/include
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .boost::filesystem::initial_path()
[...]
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.

As I suspected, those are linker errors! That means steps 1 and 2 worked. Now
(step 3), you need to specify the directory where to find the boost libraries,
as well as the lirbary file(s) for the linker to link with. At this point you
have plenty of choices: static/dynamic, multi-thread or not, debug/release.

3a) You might have some of the following library files in your AIX
[...]/boost/lib directory:

boost_filesystem-AIX-mt-1_31.so
boost_filesystem-AIX-mt-1_31.lib
boost_filesystem-AIX-mt-gd-1_31.so
boost_filesystem-AIX-mt-gd-1_31.lib

On your compiler command line, add "-L /usr/local/include/boost-1_32/boost/lib"
(or make a symbolic link as you did for the include directory
towards /usr/local/include/boost/lib and use this one instead, as you wish).

Then (usually at the end of the command line) add the library file you like.
May I the a static one (.lib). Your command line should look like:

xlc++ -o simple_ls simple_ls.cpp -I /usr/local/include -
L /usr/local/include/boost-1_32/boost/lib boost_filesystem-AIX-mt-1_31.lib

> 2a) On AIX, look inside your makefile.
>
> What am I looking for?

Ignore the makefile since you're using the command line directly.

> [...]
> 2b) On MSDEV6, add "c:\boost\include\boost-1_32" in your project settings.
More specifically in the
> "C++" tab, under "Preprocessor" category (drop-down list), and at "Additional
include directories:".

> I did this and I can now build, but I get a linker error:
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "libboost_filesystem-vc6-sgd-
1_32.lib"

3b) On MSDEV6,

i) add "libboost_filesystem-vc6-sgd-1_32.lib" in your project settings. More
specifically in the "Link" tab, under "Input" category (drop-down list), and
at "Object/Library modules:".

ii) and add "c:\boost\include\boost-1_32\boost\lib" in "Additional library
path:".

It should work.