From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-14 14:48:31

Leon Mergen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:52:44PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
>>This calls the constructor you expected once, and then the copy
>>constructor as well. If you don't want the BackupHandlerThread to be
>>copied, I think you need to construct it other than as a temporary and
>>pass a reference wrapper (boost::ref<BackupHandlerThread>) to the thread
>>constructor.
>

> Ahhh, this solution indeed works - thanks a lot for your quick response!

Remember that if you define a class that shouldn't be copiable you can
easily prevent it and avoid such mishaps by deriving privately from
boost::noncopiable. If you're in a situation where you can't use Boost
then declare the copy constructor and copy assignment operator as
private and don't define them. (See items 11 and 27 of Effective C++ or
item 53 of C++ Coding Standards.)

Ben.