From: Jim Lear (jim.lear_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 11:20:36

Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Jim Lear wrote:
>
> > I'm just a newbie
>
>> who wants to sequence through my map, really. I don't want to be
>> forced to understand iterators, adapters, iterator-independence, and
>> generic programing paradigms to do so. :-)
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm afraid you're going to have to understand at least something about
> iterators and generic programming to be able to make use of the
> standard library.

I'm beggining to understand that, thanks to everyone's help. These
concepts, while superior to the standard programming paradigm, are heavy
pre-requisites for programmers to learn (especially old school dummies
like yours truly). These prerequisites may be large impedements for
people to adopt STL. I still cling to the notion that something like
the container[iterator] concept should be included, and bad old-style
programming should be accomodated, as long as they're accompanied by
lots of footnotes explaining that using such concepts will make one's
code container-dependent. This would allow people to write useful
(albeit bad) STL code quickly, while warning signs point the way to
generic programming. But since I've had my generic programming lesson
(directly from the experts, no less), I'll embrace the iterator concept
and hope that everyone forgets that I ever suggested anything so silly
as container[iterator]. :-) Grumble grumble... I always disliked
pointer methods for accessing arrays in C... grumble grumble... :-)

--
Jim Lear