From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-20 02:17:08

At Sunday 2004-12-19 21:16, you wrote:
>Cory Nelson wrote:
> > Yep. If you're going where I think you're going (binary search), I
> > was about halfway through the modifications when I opened the email.
> > Lack of sleep will get to you... :(
> >

> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:22:01 -0700, Victor A. Wagner Jr.
> > <vawjr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> are the lists sorted?
>
>That'll only work if the ranges are non-overlapping. Otherwise you'll
>need to use an interval tree to avoid an O(N) search for each interval
>you want to remove.

you're likely correct, but we were looking at handling some stuff with
imprecise (error probabilities) results and we were on the track of doing
some stuff along these lines. The project was cancelled (shame, I think it
would fit well with the physical quantities systems... you just can't
measure things as closely as you'd like) so we never got to see how/if all
of the algorithms would work or whether we'd have to specialize them for
"fuzzy" numbers. I think it's worth pursuing for ranges tho.