From: jkharris7_at_[hidden]
Date: 2004-12-29 14:46:19

As I reported earlier, read_write_mutex asserts in debug mode (VC71), apparently seeing false wake-ups on a condition variable.

I was able to do this with just a simple group of threads locking a RWM in tight loops, with one writer and a few readers.

The new information is that I am runing this on a dual-Xeon with hyper-threading enabled (so four apparent CPU's), and I'm thinking that maybe boost libs don't get exercised on this kind of hardware very much.

Is is possible that a condition::notify_all() happens on each processor?

Has anyone else seen this?

For now, I just removed the asserts and rebuilt. Synchronization seems to be unaffected in my real-world stress test of RWM.

jh