From: John A Meinel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-14 10:25:07

Becky Bendick wrote:

> I'm trying to install boost1.32 using the prebuilt bjam for mac
> darwin, but it seems to hang on
>
> darwin-C++-action
> bin/boost/libs/serialization/build/libboost_serialization.a/darwin/release/xml_grammar.o
>

> or perhaps this just takes hours, which seems unlikely. What am I
> doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

This is a known bug, that as far as I know doesn't have a solution
(yet). When compiling with optimization, darwin gcc doesn't seem to
complete. Because it works without the -O flag, it is believed to be a
bug with the compiler, and a bug report has been submitted to apple.

On my machine, I went into xml_grammar.cpp (and xml_wgrammar.cpp). Down
near the bottom there is an explicit instantiation of a template. I put:
#ifndef NDEBUG
template class basic_xml_grammar<char>;
#endif //NDEBUG
This at least lets the compile finish. It probably means that if you
link against the release version of the library, you will get missing
symbols, but since I don't use the serialization library yet, it works
for me.

There is probably some way of fixing the Jamfile that prevents it from
setting the optimization flag, maybe
<darwin><*><optimization>off
Or something like that, I didn't try.

John