From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-17 06:13:01

Niklas Wiberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I have the following situation:
> In the constructor body of class A, I need to call functions that
> take a shared_ptr<A> as a parameter. These functions do not store the
> shared_ptr<A>, but in some situations a weak_ptr<A>.
> There is not yet any shared_ptr owning the A instance, since this is
> during A construction...
>
> At first, I thought using a shared_ptr<A> tmpThis(this, NullDeleter())
> was a good idea.
> But when I later on (when another shared_ptr actually owns the A
> instance) want to use shared_from_this on A, I get an exception since
> the use_count of the internal weak_ptr is based on the first temporary
> shared_ptr that I used during construction (with the NullDeleter).
>
> Am I correct in my assumption that the internal weak_ptr in
> enable_shared_from_this is initialized by the first shared_ptr and
> that will prevent any later use of shared_from_this when I have
> another shared_ptr (with a default deleter) owning the element?

In the current implementation, every shared_ptr constructed with a pointer
to the object will overwrite the internal weak_ptr in
enable_shared_from_this, so the last one wins. But this is an implementation
detail; if you decide to port your code to a TR1 implementation of
shared_ptr, it may or may not work.

> I guess that a static create function would solve the problem, but
> changing that would be quite a big undertaking in this particular case
> so I thought I'd check if someone knows a simple solution to this...

The static create function is the simple solution. ;-)

> I added a small example code snipped below...

Your example works for me. No exception is thrown. But:

> void foo(shared_ptr<A> a);
> void otherFunction(shared_ptr<A> a);
>
> class A : public enable_shared_from_this<A> {
> A() {
> // Can't use shared_from_this since no shared_ptr owns this yet
> shared_ptr<A> thisTmp(this, NullDeleter());
> foo(thisTmp);
> }

If foo only stores a weak_ptr, it will expire immediately at the end of the
constructor, so I'm not sure what are you trying to accomplish.