From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-20 11:41:42

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:24:28 +0000, Daniel James wrote
> Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
> > At Friday 2005-02-18 04:13, you wrote:
> >
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I tried to build the date_date libraries of Boost 1.31.0 with a gcc
> >> 2.95.2 compiler on a SuSE 7.0 Linux system. I discovered several
> >> problems:
> >

> > problem 1: you're using an ancient compiler.

And in general we don't make it a point to support these old compilers --
however, if a user goes to the work of creating patches I feel obligated to at
least evaluate including them. That said, I do recommend upgrading your
compiler because future I/O features in date-time will not be backward
compatible to compilers like 2.95.x that don't provide wchar_t support.

> > problem 2: you're using an out of date version of boost.
>
> He also supplied a patch for Boost 1.32.0.

Yep, the 1.31 patch won't go anywhere since there is no plan for a 1.31.1

> > I recommend to boost that we not accept patches for the compiler. IMO we
> > cannot afford the effort.
>
> I think that should be up to the maintainers of the individual libraries.

And, I will look at them. These are complex enough and impactive enough on
the codebase that I won't guarantee that they will be applied, but I'll
evaluate and let you know.

Jeff