From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-27 04:44:41

Robert Ramey wrote:
> After reviewing and responding to your private message, I've concluded that
> one problem is that that tthe messages from borland compiler are not has
> helpful as they could be. In this case they are pretty confusing. Given
> that you have to use Borland, and that the serialization library works quite
> well with borland (Thanks in large part to Pavel V.), I would suggest you
> get another compiler just to help with cases like this. I often use a
> different compiler just to get a different error message. I can recommend
> gcc as well as Comeau for this purpose. Its a pain in the neck to install
> another compiler, but it is very helpful when one is trying to track down a
> cryptic syntax error.
>
> Robert Ramey

You're right the error messages are terrible. And to top it off, some
error messages I get, lead me to just about anywhere in any file rather
than to the source of the problem when double clicking on 'em.

The lack of a template instantiation stack makes troubleshooting even
harder...

I don't really have to use Borland, I could use VC7.1, but as it is, I'm
already having to learn ACE, Boost.Serialization, Boost.Date_Time, I
would've used Boost.MultiIndex but it wasn't available on BC++ so I
didn't want to throw in a GUI library also (no, I didn't want to use
MFC.. GUI-wise, VCL is far superior)

I'll take a shot at testing with gcc, thanks for the suggestion and your
help with this...

Pablo Aguilar