From: Chris Coleman (cqc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-09 08:26:01

Hi,

I know at present that the Boost Threads implementation does not provide
a terminate() / cancel() function, but the documentation suggests that
work is in progress to implement this feature once a safe and portable
way is found. I was just wondering whether this will appear soon in
future releases, or if it is likely to be some time?

At present I can kill a thread internally by simply throwing an
exception and not catching it. But externally I cannot.

I have a thread pool server I built some time ago using the pthread API
and I'm porting it to use Boost Threads. The server has add() and
remove() thread methods. Within the remove function under the pthread
implementation I could call pthread_cancel(thrID) and that would be
that, Obviously I cant call thread.cancel() as I'd like here and was
wondering if there were any simple ways to signify that a particular
thread should terminate?

Cheers
Chris