From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-11 12:52:03

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>>
>>> just out of curiousity, why do you think you need a memory barrier
>>> on a flag? you would have 1 writer and 1 reader... either the
>>> reader reads false or true, and once the writer has set it to
>>> true... thats it, the reader will read true on the next pass.
>>
>> In practice, if you use "volatile" then the compiler will probably
>> generate code to read the flag from memory every time and the reader
>> will probably see the change, possibly after some small delay for it
>> to work its way through the write queue on the processor that the
>> writer is running on. AFAIK no standard or specification guarantees
>> this.
>
> If the cache of the reader CPU isn't notified about the change (which is
> only guaranteed to happen on an acquire) the reader may never observe
> the modified value.

I agree that there's no such guarantee, which is why I wouldn't advocate
depending on this working. However, without a cache coherency protocol,
independent shared variables cannot share a cache line and
synchronisation is absurdly slow, and I'm not aware of any
multiprocessor systems supporting general multithreading that don't have
such a protocol. Write queues are of finite length and are eagerly
flushed to cache to avoid stalling later memory-writing instructions
where possible.

Ben.