From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-04 08:37:24

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> ADL might not be the best customization solution.
>
> You keep saying that, but I keep disagreeing. ADL is the best
> customization solution. Not flawless, just better than any of the
> alternatives.

I guess I haven't seen enough be definitively convinced one way or the
other. I have heard stories from people who switch to dispatching via
specialization and report how much better things get. Furthermore,
Daveed Vandevoorde has convinced me that it is far easier to reason
about. The rules for matching partial specializations are trivial
compared to the mess you have to consider when there is overloading.
The inconvenience of specialization is ugly, but it seems like a
one-time cost that may be justified for what it buys us. Are there
any other costs to the specialization approach?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting