From: Roger Wilco (wilco909_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 14:10:54

I have a large (at least non-trivial) C++ application that uses Boost
threads. I am now trying to get it building as a Managed C++ (aka C++
.NET) application.

The original unmanaged MFC application used the following import library:
..\boost\boost_1_32_0\bin\boost\libs\thread\build\boost_thread.dll\vc-7_1\release\threading-multi\boost_thread-vc71-mt-gd-1_32.lib

The managed C++ Forms application requires that AND a second library
which seems to be a static library and not an import library for a DLL:
..\boost\boost_1_32_0\bin\boost\libs\thread\build\libboost_thread.lib\vc-7_1\debug\runtime-link-static\threading-multi\libboost_thread-vc71-mt-sgd-1_32.lib

It seems wrong that I need two Boost thread libraries to build with.
Hoewver, my project won't build without both. There are apparently some
#pragma-like instructions in the Boost source that trigger the linking
of these libraries.

If I do link with both Boost thread libraries, the project builds but
gets bizarre exceptions at runtime that are buried in non-debuggable code.

What is the difference between those Boost libraries?

Which one is the one that I want?

How can I stop the linker directives in the code from including the
library that I shouldn't be using?