From: Jens Theisen (jens.theisen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-24 04:43:00

David Abrahams wrote:
>>List< char > l = makeList(some_std_string) + makeList(some_char_array);
>
> We call that "any_iterator" (see
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?LibrariesUnderConstruction)

I think I focusing more on compounds like the above concatenation, but
also filters and maps. I want to have the list expressiveness of Lisp,
Haskell or Python to define what collections I want to have rather than
using the stl algorithms to tell how collections are being contructed.

> Well, a generalized single-pass iterator can't be writable unless it
> has a proxy reference, IIRC. Otherwise, how does
> *x = a;
> work?

According to the new iterator concepts it should be perfectly fine to
have an lvalue access single-pass iterator. It is always up to the
iterator's implementor what requirements he implements. Although I admit
that this will be a rare combination and if my own iterators fall under
these conditions, it's just because I'm lazy.

Best regards, Jens