From: Paul Baxter (pauljbaxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-03 02:28:33

>> Could I use Boost in program under GPL?
>> Regards.
>

> Yes. This answer is iroinically in the license FAQ describing the
> difference
> between the boost license and the GPL...
>
>>From http://www.boost.org/more/license_info.html
>
> The Boost license permits the creation of derivative works for commercial
> or
> non-commercial use with no legal requirement to release your source code.
> Other differences include Boost not requiring reproduction of copyright
> messages for object code redistribution, and the fact that the Boost
> license
> is not "viral": if you distribute your own code along with some Boost
> code,
> the Boost license applies only to the Boost code (and modified versions
> thereof); you are free to license your own code under any terms you like.
>
> Jeff

Is there an issue that the GPL code would 'virally' infect the instance of
the boost code in the combined source such that the boost code being
redistributed would need to have the same (ie additional) restrictions as
the GPL.

Someone is free to also get Boost code directly from Boost and not have
these restrictions, but does the Boost code allow a user to place further
restrictions on the derived work?

Paul (not a lawyer, and always confused by licenses)