From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-06 15:21:10

"Micha Bieber" <onsager_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect
> configuration
>
> couldn't find Python.h in "c:/tools/python/include"
>
> You can configure the location of your python installation by setting:
> PYTHON_ROOT - currently "c:/tools/python"
> PYTHON_VERSION - The 2-part python Major.Minor version number (e.g.
> "2.2", NOT "2.2.1") - currently "2.2"
>
> The following are automatically configured from PYTHON_ROOT if not
> otherwise set:
>
> PYTHON_LIB_PATH - path to Python library object; currently
> "c:/tools/python/libs"
> don't know how to make stage
> ...found 1 target...
> ...can't find 1 target...
>
> v:\src\boost_1_32_0>
>
> I dont't know, if the python configuration/message is really necessary.
> Maybe an existing python installation can be found (I have an
> ActivePython here).
> But the the last 3 lines are completely meaningless. What shall I do
> with it ? A command line error ? A problem with graph's dependencies ?
> Something else ?

It might be useful to know that, every lib that requires building, has it's
own build subdirectory in libs\<lib you want>\build, which builds it by
itself and skips the rest of boost. AIUI you tried building all of boost.

> msvc specific:
> The library as a heavily template-loaded piece of software should IMO
> suppress warning 4786 at least in their own implementation files. This
> makes it easier to spot errors during the installation run.
>
> Generally I lack information regarding dependencies for the single
> libraries. This should be part of the documentation (a must IMO, some
> accentuated doxygen graphs for the include hierarchy would be very
> helpful). Boost contains so many different things, and many people don't
> need all this stuff. It was absolutely no problem in the past, to
> install BGL (or its predecessor) by simply copying the header
> (neglecting for the moment the graphviz) interface.
> IMO, this should be possible further on, maybe some additional helper
> like iterator. But it should be documented ! Many people prefer
> lightwight libraries and it seems also current versions of boost _can_
> be configured this way (with som acceptable manual adjusting).
> So a bit emphasis on these things yet in the doumentations "Getting
> started" section at a would be a nice thing (tm) and raise the libraries
> acceptance for new users.

Though I've not even tried it and don't know if it's really working, this
tool might be what you're looking for:
http://www.boost.org/tools/bcp/bcp.html

> (*)
> ...failed updating 24 targets...