From: Mauricio Gomes (mg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-18 10:45:42

Hi Pshemek,

You are right. GSL indeed uses double and long double.
Thanks for pointing that.

However, consider this : (from
http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=8020/cuj0111ring/ Read the paragraph
"Why We Need Arbitrary Precision" for more details):

For example, consider the two numbers N1 = 98237307.398797975997 and N2
= 87733164872.98273499749. N1 has 20 significant digits; N2 has 22. If
you assign these to C doubles, each variable will maintain only 15-16
digits of precision (assuming 64 bits). If you then multiply these
numbers, the result will be precise only to the 15-16 most significant
digits.

You can use GSL but then when you get a GSL_ERANGE (GSL_ERANGE: Range
error; used by mathematical functions when the result value is not
representable because of overflow or underflow) or other exception you
will need to handle this error.
If you are very careful and through on this error handling my opinion
is that you will probably end up writing your own version of an
arbitrary precision wrapper over GSL.

One interesting project might be to write a version of GSL with
templates that would allow the use of an arbitrary precision math class
instead of double.

I might be missing something here but this is getting off topic and I
think I should move to http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-gsl
for further investigation.

Thanks,
Mauricio Gomes