From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-21 00:17:53

On 4/20/05, Tom Tan (SH/RDC) <tom.tan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Yes, to enable multi-threaded code. But how?
> What's going on inside while compiling with '-pthread'?
> Or what's the difference between them at the compilation level? Or Is there anything happen at optimization level?

Preprocessor macros are defined (e.g. _REENTRANT), and
reentrant/thread-safe APIs are exposed that might not be otherwise.
And you'll automatically link with the -lpthreads library. I don't
believe anything will change w/r/t code optimizations, etc, just
build/runtime support.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com