From: Rush Manbert (rush_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-21 17:50:10

Hi,

I build the Boost libraries and installed them, and when I did I
specified --prefix, --exec-prefix/,/ and / /--builddir so that all of my
build products would be placed in a separate directory tree.

I have been looking at the thread library. I could run the test as
described, using
bjam -sTOOLS=darwin test
in the proper directory. It built and ran with no problems. (This is
under Mac OS 10.3.8)

Flushed with success, I built the thread example programs using this
command:
bjam -sTOOLS=darwin

This did build the programs, placing them under
$BOOST_ROOT/bin/boost/libs/thread/example/. For instance, the
"condition" program is located in:
$BOOST_ROOT/bin/boost/libs/thread/example/condition/darwin/debug/
All okay.

Here is my problem. When I try to run these programs, they all fail. A
representative error is:
dyld: ./condition/darwin/debug/condition can't open library:
../../../bin/boost/libs/thread/build/libboost_thread.dylib/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_thread-d-1_32.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)

It appears to me that the link knows the relative path to the default
library build location, and specified that as the path to the dynamic
library. The problem is that I didn't build my libraries there.

I tried setting BOOST_ROOT to the equivalent top level location in my
build products tree, but that didn't change anything. I tried to force a
static link (hoping to force a different link error that might give me
another hint), but that blew up bjam in a different way that I don't
want to get into here. (Should I be able to statically link these programs?)

Is there some way to change the library path used for linking these
programs?

Thanks,
Rush