From: Flavio Antonioli (antonioli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-25 17:37:35

Hi,

I wrote earlier about linking problems with Boost & Microsoft VC8 beta 2.
I realized I hadn't built Boost with VC8, I thought I did but apparently
the build system was confused by the fact that both Visual Studio 2003 and
2005 where installed and defaulted to the older version.
I was finally able to build renaming the Visual Studio 2003 folder.
I was suprised to see that the Boost Serialization library was correctly
built only in the release version, the debug version reported compilation
errors. I've narrowed them down to actually the _DEBUG macro being defined
or not. When it is defined compilation errors appear when compiling for
example xml_grammar.cpp
I'm using the v1 build system as I wasn't able to understand how v2 works,
I managed only to make it build a dll version of the Serialization lib.

Follows is a command line that compiles the file. Switching from /MD to
/MDd breaks the compilation. /MDd /U_DEBUG works, as it undefines _DEBUG.

C:\swap\boost2\boost_1_32_0\libs\serialization\build>"c:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\..\..\VC\bin\cl" /Zm800
-nologo /EHsc -c
-DBOOST_TEST_NO_AUTO_LINK=1 /MD /Z7 /Od /Ob0 /EHsc /GR /Zc:forScope
/Zc:wchar_t -I"..\..\..\bin\boost\libs\serialization\build"
-I"C:\swap\boost2\boost_1_32
_0"
-Fo"..\..\..\bin\boost\libs\serialization\build\libboost_serialization.lib\vc-8_0\debug\threading-multi\xml_grammar.obj"
-Tp"C:\swap\boost2\boost_1_32_0\
libs\serialization\build\../src/xml_grammar.cpp"

Needless to say I'm lost.

Thanks to anyone who could shed some on this.

Flavio.