From: Shishir Ramam (sramam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-09 12:38:29

On 5/9/05, Joaquín Mª López Muñoz <joaquin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dave Snowdon ha escrito:
>
> > I'd like to second what Stefan said. Before I started using boost (only
> > a couple of months back) I'd seen references to it in many articles in
> > the C++ User Journal not to mention a few C++ related books.
>
> Maybe that's a significant difference wrt to the rest of the C++ community:
> Many programmers are not subscribed to CUJ and do not buy
> intermediate/advanced books (entry-level references do not usually list
> Boost.)
>
> I'd like a website that holds the attention of the casual comer. A newbie
> with just a passing knowledge of what Boost is might be scared by
> the contents of boost.org and never return back; a more friendly site,
> with forums and stuff, is a more agreeable place to hang around and
> eventually decide to try Boost for real.

Please add my vote to this stream of thought.

Being a newbie, I'd have appreciated being pointed to this link from the
smart_pointers documentation -
http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=9481/cuj0408j/0408sutter.html?temp=jf199+SZnZ

Giving newbies a comparison between the various well known alternatives, sure
makes life easier and probably aids adoption.

One other thing is that just reading CUJ articles only gives a superficial
understanding of the concepts. It's only when one is actually using the
concepts that one gets a deeper understanding. So putting the links/information
closer to the documentation is much better IMHO.

-shishir

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward.