From: Louis Lavery (Louis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-22 04:13:48

I'm looking for a transforming iterator. I've looked at the
boost transform_iterator but it doesn't quite do what I
want. Well, in fact it does a little too much, it passes
the dereferenced base iterator to the transform function -
I would like it to pass the base iterator itself. The
reason being is that the transform function is to return
an object containing that base iterator (the object acts
much along the lines of a boost graph edge/vertex descriptor).

At the moment I've cut and pasted transform_iterator.hpp,
renamed it transmute_iterator.hpp and edited it to remove
one char (the dereferencing *) just so as I can try things
out.

Oh, I am slow! I was going to ask if such an iterator
could be added to boost lib but have just realised that
it is trivial for a transmute_iterator to model a
transform_iterator.

     Hmm, so my question now is - is there some reason why
the base iterator is dereferenced before being passed to
the function? Wouldn't it be better to let the function
decide that?

thanks,

Louis.

BTW, you guys write some really great stuff, it's very
much appreciated. And C++ Template Metaprogramming is
mind blowing (especially chapters 10++).