From: Louis Lavery (Louis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-24 01:21:55

David Abrahams wrote:
> Louis Lavery <Louis_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>I'm looking for a transforming iterator. I've looked at the
[snip]
>> Hmm, so my question now is - is there some reason why
>>the base iterator is dereferenced before being passed to
>>the function? Wouldn't it be better to let the function
>>decide that?
>

> Not if nearly every use of the thing would have to add a dereference
> operation. That would make many uses terribly inconvenient, and some
> impossible (i.e. if you only want to build the function object in
> place using Boost.Bind or the standard binders instead of
> Boost.Lambda).

Yes, in the short time between my post and receiving your reply
the idea had already begun to putrefy.
     I went back and reviewed the boost iterators, yet again, and
immediately dismissed counting_iterator, yet again, as that just
counts, dunnit?

> It seems to me all you really need to do is use transform_iterator
> over counting_iterator.

Kick ouch! Kick ouch! Kick ouch!

                           counting_iterator enumerates the values of
> your underlying iterator, and transform_iterator operates on those
> values. Please let me know if you can't get that to work.

If I can't do that then I should be writing microcode for waffle irons
and toaster ovens and not dabbling in C++ :o)

Thanks a lot, that's the neat soloution I was after,

Louis.