From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 14:20:04

"Delfin Rojas" <drojas_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I have never tried to build bjam and run it so I am not sure what may be
> happening in your case. You can download pre-built bjam for Win32 from
> SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586&package_id=72941
>> &package_id=72941).

What Theo did should be fine. It works more generally than using the
download, too -- if he were building against a CVS snapshot, the
downloaded EXE might fail.

> On the other hand, putting bjam.exe on C:\Windows\system32 does not seem
> like a good idea to me. Put bjam.exe where boost is (C:\temp\boost_1_32_0
> for you).

It may not be good style, but it will work there just as well as it
will work in C:\temp\boost_1_32_0.

> Before running bjam you need to run vsvars32.bat which comes with Visual C++
> 7 installation.

Not if his Visual Studio was installed in the standard place on an
English language system. It will be found automatically. And,
regardless, that will have nothing to do with the reasons for the
failure he was seeing. The Visual Studio environment variables have
not yet come into play by the time he sees the error he listed.

Just trying to avoid further confusion.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting