From: Sliwa, Przemyslaw (London) (Przemyslaw_Sliwa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-01 03:10:49

All,

I have a question which is not related directly to boost.
I am writing a multithreaded application and would like to make use of a
multiprocessor machine in order to speed up our Monte Carlo simulation
engine. We make use of the random number package (random number
distributions). My question is: making the random number generator a
global variable (object) it is possible to use it in several threads at
the same time -> does it mean that the random sequences will be repeated
and the entire simulation will be simply a repetition of n non-random
sequences? This can be avoided when a lock is acquired on the random
number generator and at a given time just one thread can access the rng
and the advantage of the multiprocessor machine is lost. Can you advise?

Thanks

Pshemek

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail. http://www.ml.com/email_terms/