From: Robert Zeh (razeh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-13 08:37:12

"Tom Browder" <tbrowder_at_[hidden]> writes:

> The accumulated times (sec) are surprising:
>
> Boost Victor's Mine
> ===== ===== ====
> no loop 1.50 38.84 20.13
> loop 131.91 38.89 23.91
>
> Granted, I didn't do the tests multiple times, but it seems to me that the
> Boost tokenizer is great if you don't need to iterate through it, but it is
> the pits if you do.
>
> -Tom
>
> I'll send you my code and results if interested.
>
> -Tom

I'd be interested in seeing profiling output from your test ---
when the tokenizer is reading from an input stream it builds up the
strings character by character with operator +=.

It can avoid creating the tokens character by character when it isn't
dealing with input streams (it checks for an input stream by checking
for std::input_iterator_tag, which I assume is set for istringstream).

Robert Zeh
http://home.earthlink.net/~rzeh